ERM began its operations as an environmental consultancy in London, England in the early 1970s, and since then has grown rapidly through organic expansion and acquisitions.
With offices in more than 40 different countries, ERM strategically aims to deliver superior services to clients locally, while also acting as one global organization. Key to the firm’s success is its ability to maintain a high level of service excellence and consistency in delivery. The firm is also able to collaborate across geographies to create a strong global platform for the benefit of its clients.
The ERM + BST Global Partnership
Following a period of significant growth in 2000, ERM executives realized they needed to integrate the firm’s then 40 operations (which spanned 27 countries) in order to meet its stated strategic objectives. For ERM, a single global management system platform was paramount.
At the time, ERM had more than 30 disparate business systems and none were suitable as a global platform for ERM’s multi-national network of offices. To meet this need, ERM required a solution with multi-company and multi-currency capabilities. In addition, ERM wanted to reduce Work-In-Progress and collect receivable balances quicker to improve cash flow. ERM also lacked consistent visibility of operational performance across the business.
The BST Global Solution
Following an evaluation process, ERM chose to move forward with BST Global as its business software solution partner. In 2002, BST10 was deployed across ERM, consolidating all of the firm’s existing legacy systems onto a new and unified business software platform. There were multiple capabilities within BST10 that ultimately led to the firm selecting the software solution, including:
- BST10’s ability to act as an integrated data repository that can capture and report key performance indicators and multiple cuts of data across projects, geographies and clients
- Access to a fully relational, web-based database that makes project information easily and immediately available to project managers, accounting staff and management
- BST10’s ability to be used across geographies in a cohesive manner, enabling consistency of delivery to clients
ERM has experienced significant growth and continues to be the leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, social consulting and sustainability-related services. With BST10 as its global business software platform, ERM has achieved multiple business objectives, including:
- Gross revenues have more than tripled since 2001 to more than $914M in 2021
- Project management has improved due to better availability of project information
- Delivery of improved project outcomes for clients by using the business system to collaborate better across projects and geographies
- Growth in earnings resulting from expanding the business into new geographies and new practice areas
- Easier new office setup and management with a common business system platform
- Consistency in the application of key business processes and the ability to clearly identify any divergences
- Significantly improved cash flow via improved management of receivables and Work-In-Progress